1. I was able to get dressed AND put on makeup before the kids woke up
2. Big Brother glanced at my wedding picture as we walked to breakfast and said, “I didn’t know you were a princess?!”
3. Little Lady slept in
4. We received an incredibly generous and unexpected gift card from a friend, which paid for our grocery bill this morning
5. Speaking of grocery shopping, We pulled it off! At 9 am mind you; without meltdowns, broken eggs, misplaced grocery lists, or other antics that make me wonder if I look like walking birth control
6. We went to the library. And I’m convinced they pump sedatives into the air. The kids CALMLY and QUIETLY sat and read while I RELAXED. And they said it couldn’t be done!
7. I checked out a grown up book. For pure entertainment. And I shall read it.
8. The boys made me belly laugh. Big Brother held his book and spelled, “D-I-N-O-S-A-U-R. Dinosaur.” To which Middle Man responded with a tinge of jealousy as he held his Dr. Suess’s ABC book, “A-B-C. Poopy Diaper!”
9. A lovely neighbor stopped by on her walk to Starbucks…and offered to bring me back one.
10. Another couple from the neighborhood walked over during ‘Pre-Dinner Meltdowns’ and played with the kids for a whole hour.
11. I enjoyed conversations with long-distance friends on the phone. I love instant communication at times!
12. The boys asked the most amazing, breath-taking question over dinner: “May we have more broccoli please?”
13. I only did one load of laundry.
14. I only changed 9 diapers today.
NOTE TO SELF: remember days like this when those other days hit. You know, the ones where you’re tempted to grumble and complain about your lot in life. And on those days, remember the faces of the elderly couple who let you cross the street today as you pushed your ridiculously heavy, wheels-don’t-stay-straight shopping cart filled with groceries and three precious souls; those wrinkled faces with knowing smiles and longing eyes. This day is a gift. This season is a gift. These children are a gift. And I’ll take every wrinkle and grey hair that may come with it!